Astrology is a powerful predictive tool. It uses the natural cycles of the planets for prediction. Nature operates in cycles and these cycles repeat over time. We often say that history repeats itself and this is because cycles repeat themselves.
We have just emerged from a very difficult period globally. In fact astrology predicted that in 2020 there would be war and or financial meltdown. It was hard to imagine how this would unfold and yet it did. Nobody could have imagined…. We have ended up in war with a virus which travels unseen and doesn’t respect our man made borders and boundaries. Our enemy is everywhere and invisible. The world stopped. The economies have been shattered around the world as lockdowns persisted. Our response to the pandemic was to lockdown and this has created enormous economic damage. The big planetary players for 2020 were Pluto, Saturn and Jupiter. All 3 of these planets came together in the sign of Capricorn in 2020 creating a very difficult situation. Pluto is associated with viruses, death and dying, debt and taxation. The problems are immense and nobody was spared. Everyday life was disrupted as businesses and schools closed and only essential workers were allowed to operate. Countries closed their borders and the virus spread regardless. That is what viruses do – they replicate themselves as fast as possible. Covid-19 has been extremely hard on the elderly and those with comorbidities. Death in these groups has been much higher globally. Some countries had more resources than others to support those who were unable to work with lockdown restrictions. Others faulted including our own. It has been incredibly hard for many people across the world and this may well be the chance for humanity to realise that we are as strong as our weakest link. If the virus is still active in poorer countries, no country is safe no matter how wealthy. The same applies to households and this period has highlighted the great divide across the world between those with resources and those not. Covid-19 is shining a bright light on humanity. We are on a path that is not sustainable on every level. Whether you think about energy, pollution, land pressure on the wild animals across the world and our own well-being as a species. We need to rethink our impact on this planet we call home. We are destroying the planet that supports us and we have to make significant changes going forward. We have literally run out of runway. There is no where to hide. All our problems are out in the open. There can be nobody who does not realise that we are in trouble if we don’t significantly change.
The situation has shifted significantly since the end of 2020 and according to the planets the peak of the pandemic concluded at the end of Nov 2020 with Jupiter conjunct Pluto on 12 Nov and Saturn conjunct Pluto on 24 Nov 2020. This was a period when infection rates were climbing across the world. Even as SA entered our summer season when traditionally we would expect these viruses to subside, the infection rates climbed in communities that had little exposure in the first wave. SA had to contend with a new variant as the virus mutated and became more transmissible. The communities that were able to self-isolate and social distance in the 1st wave were harder hit by the 2nd wave as the virus found new ways to penetrate and infect these communities. The virus had an easy time infecting people as families were gathering for the holidays. The Western Cape reached its peak on 7 Jan 2021 and we have seen a steady decline in infections since that time here and across SA.
But now we need to take stock of the current situation and look forward. We need hope and it is often difficult when we are all dealing with some kind of trauma or grief even if we have not lost any loved ones. So where to now?
We need to understand that we (humanity) have been in this before – many times actually. Some will remember times from the past and the thing to realise is that we will get through this difficult period. We have before. But the message is loud and clear – we have to find new ways of operating. We cannot continue doing the same things expecting different results.
Saturn is square Uranus in 2021 and this is the dominant theme for the year. This creates tension and conditions for change. Astrology is a predictive tool and excels when predicting points of change. Change never happens when things are easy. None of us like change – it is difficult. You have to step out of your comfort zone. But change is essential and necessary and part of natures way. Nature works in cycles – initiating, stabilising and breaking down. This process happens all over the world each and every day. Death and dying is a natural process.
Saturn is currently in Aquarius and it is very comfortable in this sign. Saturn teaches us about our responsibilities and duties. Saturn likes order and process. Saturn is patient and wise. Saturn speaks about traditional ways. Saturn refers to those in authority and positions of leadership. Saturn is the responsible adult.
Uranus on the other hand is associated with rebellion and freedom. Uranus likes independence. Uranus is fixated on innovation. Uranus is inventive and is driven to find new ways of operating. Uranus likes risk and chaos. It is inventive after all. Uranus speaks about technological advancement.
As you can see these 2 planets operate very differently. What can we understand about this time? The establishment will be challenged. Just because it was done a certain way for a long time before doesn’t mean it needs to continue along this path. We need to expect social disruptions and change. It is important that we challenge those in authority especially those leaders that are not using their positions of influence and authority appropriately. The real question is this – do you throw the baby out with the bath water and start all over again? There are certainly things from the past that remain relevant and valuable and provide stability and certainty. It is important to keep things stable that are working and work really hard to reinvent where change is appropriate and necessary.
Taking a step back this Saturn Uranus cycle started in 1988.
- This year will be remembered for the first computer virus – the internet worm. The internet emerged in the 1970’s in the US and this was to revolutionise communication by allowing various computer networks around the world to interconnect. The internet was a little known concept. It was officially launched on 12 March 1989. It was a radical concept at the time. By Jan 1993 there were 50 web servers across the world! The internet only became available to the general public in the 1990’s. It is incredible thinking back to the start of this communication revolution.
- During this time the Soviet Union changed course and began creating a mixed economy. The Iron Curtain began to disintegrate. Hungary started allowing freer travel to the West. With this massive shift happening in the Soviet Union pressure started building across Eastern Europe and Germany and on 9 Nov 1989 the Berlin Wall fell. This was also significant in our journey as South Africans. The Apartheid government started realising that the world was shifting dramatically and pressure was building on them to unban the ANC. The ANC was banned in 1960 and unbanned on 2 Feb 1990 and political prisoners released. Mandela was released on 11 Feb 1990. Massive social change was taking place globally and in SA.
- 1988 was also the year that the WHO started its mission to eradicate Polio.
- The first Aids case was identified in 1983 in SA and the first death in 1985. In 1987 AIDS was included in the official SA list of communicable diseases. In 1988 the Aids Unit and National Advisory Group was established within the department of health to promote AIDS awareness.
In 1999/2000 Saturn and Uranus were 90 degrees apart. This was a stress test once again for society.
- Everyone was having a meltdown about the computers around the world crashing when the calendar ticked over to year 2000. By the end of 1999 most companies had upgraded software and there were few problems.
- PayPal was an idea and people were less than impressed.
- Bill Gates predicted the future with smart phones.
- Some people were downloading music on Napster without understanding the implications.
- The DVD player was replacing the VHS players.
- Books were advertised as going onto computers.
- Massive Hotmail data breach.
- Euro was launched.
- Bill Clinton was facing impeachment.
- The West became more concerned with terrorist threats and in 2001 on Sep 11 the Twin Towers terrorist attack took place in New York.
- In 1999 Thabo Mbeki was elected President of SA replacing Mandela with Jacob Zuma as his deputy. Mbeki was an Aids denialist and held the position that HIV did not cause AIDS. In 1998 the Treatment Action Campaign was started. In Jan 2000 the National Aids Council was formed. In April 2001 the government successfully protected a law for the manufacture of cheaper generics. Universal HIV treatment was approved in Aug 2003. By 2005, 5 million SA had HIV making SA the country with the highest rates in the world.
In 2008/2009 Saturn and Uranus were in opposition. Can you notice when change happens? Hard aspects – tension either conjunct 0 degrees, square 90 or opposition 180 degrees apart. This creates circumstances ripe for change.
- President Mbeki resigned in Sep 2008 and Jacob Zuma became President in April 2009. Dr Aaron Mostoaldi was appointed Health Minister. There was also a commitment to provide all children with HIV treatment.
- The 2008/2009 Global financial crisis quickly gathered momentum when the subprime housing bubble burst. The crash was the result of a series of events. Once the housing bubble burst, this put pressure on the banks and other financial institutions who were betting on continued house price increases. Many lost jobs, homes, and retirement savings. This was the worst recession since the 1930’s. The Lehman Brothers bankruptcy triggered the Global Recession and the Stock Market crash. This company was started in 1847 and was the 4th largest investment bank before it filed for bankruptcy.
- President Obama became President of the US in 2008. The first black president of the US.
This leads us to the current Saturn Uranus square in 2021.
If we just look at the major themes from the start of this cycle and follow the threads there is an important connection with the internet and communication. Lockdown has most certainly pushed humanity to improve and make sure there is greater access to these tools. Lockdown has been wonderful for those with internet who could work from home and their children continue their schooling. But it has been a disaster for those who don’t have access to devices and data at home. This has highlighted the great divide between rich and poor within communities and across the world when one considers countries. But it most certainly provides massive opportunities to broaden access to devices and data and improve education outcomes and provide greater work flexibility.
When one looks at disease issues there were great strides made in the treatment of Aids patients but this did not just happen. It required citizens to actively engage with leadership and to ensure that treatment was provided. This was a struggle but certainly the results very positive. Antiretroviral coverage of people with HIV in SA has increased from 0% in 2000 to 71% in 2019. SA has the largest programme in the world treating more than 5 million people.
This time frame seems important in terms of the leadership of the ANC and SA with key changes happening in 1999 and 2008/2009 and now again as there is a massive internal battle raging within the ANC which is spilling over into the leadership dynamic in SA. Zuma is the common thread in this time frame – Deputy President in 1999, President in 2009 and now having to present himself to the Zondo Commission which he clearly has less interest in doing. One wonders if Zuma has not pushed things too far this time. Time will tell.
It certainly is a very difficult time economically and this provides opportunities to create a more inclusive economy and society.
The cycle concludes in 2032 and will start all over again.
So what is the key take home message. We need to take personal and collective responsibility going forward. It is important that we hold those in leadership positions accountable. We need to put pressure on leaders as ordinary citizens. This is the time for social activist citizens. Find a cause that speaks to you and get involved. Whether it is climate, plastic, litter, education, gender based violence, the elderly, alcohol and or drug addiction, food gardens and or healthy food – anything that resonates with you. You don’t have to join a group but there is no doubt an organised structure is better able to pressurise leadership to change – think TAC. We can’t wait for others to deliver. As you can see from history when the time is right things can change very quickly and this is the message that astrology has for us right now. It is time to radically imagine a new reality for humanity. This is not only happening in SA it is a massive generational shift for all. Only time will tell what transpired over this time.
The last complete cycle started in 1942 (WW2) and ended in 1988. The 1976 period resonates with 2021 and we all know what happened then – Soweto uprising. These were the dying days of apartheid and the youth were imagining a different future for themselves. Yes it was a volatile period but ultimately it was about innovation and charting a new future going forward. In 1976, the fight was against Apartheid. In 2021 the fight is against corruption and State Capture. So my question to you is this. In 1976 the youth were marching for education? What will you be marching for in 2021?
Get involved. Take charge personally and collectively in imagining a better path for all. Be brave and take a risk. This is the time.